.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Níl aon tintéan mar do thintéan féin...

Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Bit of Irish Insight

Back in the pre-comment days (a long, long time ago... some time earlier this week...) I expressed puzzlement at the strange coralation in Ireland between fireworks and Halloween. Well, a pal o' mine here in Dublin emailed me to shed some light on the subject. I just thought I'd share this interesting tidbit with y'all. (By the way, be sure to stop by and visit her blog: But Seriously Forks...) ;)

In answer to your pondering re Halloween and fireworks, I think it's probably because of Bonfire Night (Guy Fawkes Night) in the UK, which is a few days after Halloween. Fireworks are a symbolic part of that, and I reckon it caught on here in the 1980's - my parents claim that Halloween was just about the bonfire and firework-free for the most part until then. This also coincided with my youngest brother turning 9 and developing an unhealthy interest in explosions and all things fire-related, so it was a real firework-fest around home at this time.

The kids around town that feck bangers at people are little shits though, I'm staying in next Monday night and only distributing sweeties through the letterbox!

More info on this Bonfire Night business to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home