.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Níl aon tintéan mar do thintéan féin...

Monday, March 06, 2006

Oh Canada...

One of the strange aspects of watching the hockey game yesterday were the little reminders of home. The ads displayed around the rink were wonderfully familiar, and I spent as much time explaining the meaning of 'Rrroll up the rim to win' (and the like) as I did explaining what was going on in the game (in accordance with my own limited knowledge of hockey). The CBC logo was great to see, and although I didn't get to point out Don Cherry (he was probably at another game) there were plenty of random things to natter on about (like explaining what a zamboni is for).

Today, while walking home from meeting Col over lunchtime at the quays, I crossed the street to examine again the 'Alberta' poster in the window of the CanAmerica travel agents. I decided to step inside for a moment. For the next 10 minutes, I flipped through the 'Alberta' section of their travel guide. It was strange to be viewing the place were I lived (Calgary) and worked (the Calgary Stampede) through the eyes of a potential tourist.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allie said...

Ah Canada. I have to go to Toronto for a few days on bees knees (work), have been practising my ehs and aboots and other such stereotypical details.

I've already been warned not to point out the grammatical inaccuracy of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Leaves! LEAVES!

March 10, 2006 2:01 p.m.

 
Blogger Redivivus said...

That's Oh Canada Allie. OH Canada. Not AH Canada. :P

Anywhoo, *try* to have fun in Toronto. (Sorry, there tends to be a bit of bad blood in Canada between the big TO and, well... everyone else). :)

Make sure you go to Tim Horton's and play Roll Up the Rim to Win!

March 11, 2006 7:25 p.m.

 
Blogger Allie said...

Noted. Have already been asked to bring back supplies of Tim Horton's coffee, maple syrup, Twizzlers, and Old Navy jeans. Will keep an eye out for the rim thing...

March 13, 2006 4:40 p.m.

 
Blogger Allie said...

They're bringing us curling! CURLING! Eh?!!

March 30, 2006 10:36 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home